What will your school discover at The Postal Museum? Inspire, excite and engage your pupils with stories from over 500 years of social communications history that shaped the modern world.
Book today for 2017 – 2018
The Postal Museum, 15 – 20 Phoenix Place, London, WC1X 0DA
Open 10.00 – 17.00
Find out how to book your visit postalmuseum.org/for-schools
From History, Maths, Geography, STEM, Literacy to Art and Design – a visit to The Postal Museum can stimulate enquiry-based learning across the curriculum. All sessions can be adapted to suit the learning needs of pupils.
The Postal Museum exhibitions : Discover 500 years of social communications history revealed through the post. Five interactive galleries packed with incredible objects and exciting stories will engage the curiosity of your pupils.
- Get up close to iconic objects including an early Mail Coach and a green Victorian post box.
- Investigate ground-breaking design and technology, including quirky vehicles and unusual methods used to deliver the post.
- Step into the shoes of postal workers through the centuries.
- Get dressed for the job and test your telegraphist skills to decipher Morse code, or send a message in a pneumatic tube.
- Examine original poster and stamp artwork including a rare sheet of iconic Penny Black stamps. Follow the rise of social mail, from the world’s first Christmas card, to early greetings cards and postcards.
- Peer into the lives of ordinary people and listen to their stories in telephone kiosks. Read telegrams from the Titanic and poignant soldiers’ letters from the Front Line and make personal connections to the national story of how a humble service revolutionised our lives.
Ride Mail Rail: Take pupils on an unforgettable experience through the original tunnels and station platforms of the post office underground railway. Visit the Mail Rail exhibition to explore the science and history behind the world’s first electric railway and learn about the lives of the engineers who kept it running around the clock.
Sorted! Children under 8 can learn through play in our miniature mail-themed world.
Facilitated sessions: Interactive workshops, science shows and storytelling sessions. Delve deeper into the postal past, get hands-on with original objects, investigate new ideas, overcome a challenge or solve a problem.
Learning resources: Download free learning resources to support your visit. Resources include teachers’ notes, activities, PowerPoints and online games.